What Serum To Use With LED Light Therapy: Everything You Need To Know
IN THIS ARTICLE:
- 01 What Is LED Light Therapy?
- 02 What Are The Benefits Of LED Light Therapy?
- 03 What Serums Can Be Used With LED Light Therapy
- 04 Is At-Home LED Light Therapy Safe?
1. What Is LED Light Therapy?
LED light therapy is a non-invasive way to transform and rejuvenate the skin using non-damaging light energy. Although it has been around for years, this therapy gained a following only in recent years thanks to its effectiveness and convenience.
What is LED light therapy?
LED light therapy uses UV-free non-thermal LED bulbs that emit light energy. This light energy penetrates the layers of the skin resulting in cellular-level transformation.
You’re probably wondering, “How often should I use LED light therapy at home?”
How often should you use LED light masks? It's important to establish a consistent routine. For beginners, starting with up to four 10-minute sessions per week is recommended. As you begin to see positive results, you can gradually reduce the frequency to twice a week. With this reduced schedule, you can increase the session duration to 15 minutes each. This gradual adjustment allows your skin to adjust and maximize the benefits of LED light therapy.
2. What Are The Benefits Of LED Light Therapy?
The appeal of LED light therapy lies in its ability to target the most common skin concerns. Here are some of the key advantages:
- Stimulates collagen production
LED light therapy helps to stimulate the production of collagen and elastin, the proteins responsible for maintaining the skin's elasticity and firmness. Increased collagen production can result in smoother, plumper, and more youthful-looking skin. Check out this LED light therapy mask made of soft silicone.
- Reduces wrinkles and fine lines
The boost in collagen production from LED light therapy can help to diminish the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines, making the skin look smoother and more rejuvenated. Tighten and smoothen skin with the help of this LED mask from Project E Beauty.
- Improves skin texture and tone
LED light therapy can enhance the overall texture and tone of the skin. It can help to minimize the appearance of hyperpigmentation, sunspots, and uneven skin tone, resulting in a more even complexion.
- Treats acne and breakouts
LED light therapy is effective in targeting the P. acnes bacteria known to cause acne. It helps to reduce inflammation and redness associated with acne, resulting in a clearer complexion and fewer breakouts. Target acne breakouts and more with the Skin Rejuvenation Photon Mask.
- Speeds up wound healing
LED light therapy promotes the production of new skin cells and improves blood circulation, which can accelerate the healing of wounds, cuts, and bruises.
3. What Serums Can Be Used With LED Light Therapy
When it comes to using serums, it's important to choose variants that are compatible with your skin type and will work well with the therapy.
Here are a few types of serums that can be used in conjunction with a LED light therapy mask such as this seven-color skin rejuvenation mask from Project E Beauty:
- Hyaluronic acid serums - a hydrating ingredient that helps to moisturize and plump the skin. Using a hyaluronic acid serum before LED light therapy can enhance hydration and support the skin's overall health.
- Vitamin C serums - known for its antioxidant properties, which can help protect the skin from free radicals and promote a brighter complexion. Applying a vitamin C serum before LED light therapy can enhance the skin's radiance.
- Niacinamide serums - also known as vitamin B3, has multiple benefits for the skin, including improving skin tone, reducing redness, and regulating oil production. It can complement LED light therapy by addressing specific skin concerns.
- Retinol serums - a form of vitamin A known for its anti-aging properties. It can help to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. However, it's important to note that retinol can make the skin more sensitive to light, so it may be best to avoid using it immediately before or after LED light therapy.
4. Is At-Home LED Light Therapy Safe?
Is LED red light therapy safe? At-home LED light therapy can generally be considered safe when used as directed. However, there are a few important factors to keep in mind to ensure its safety and effectiveness:
Quality of the device: It's important to choose a reputable and FDA-cleared LED light therapy device. Look for devices that have been tested for safety and efficacy.
Follow instructions: Follow the manufacturer's instructions carefully when using the LED light therapy device. Pay attention to the recommended treatment duration and frequency. Using the device for longer durations or more frequently than recommended may not increase its effectiveness and could potentially cause skin irritation.
Eye protection: LED light therapy devices emit bright light, and it's crucial to protect your eyes during treatment. Ensure that you use appropriate eye protection, such as protective goggles or eye masks, as recommended by the device manufacturer.
Consultation with a professional: If you have any underlying medical conditions or concerns about your skin, it's advisable to consult with a dermatologist or skincare professional before starting at-home LED light therapy. They can provide personalized guidance and ensure that the treatment is safe and suitable for your specific needs.
written by Olivia Khader