IN THIS ARTICLE:
- 01 6 Easy Steps to Prepare Your Face Before Makeup
- 1. Cleanse and Exfoliate
- 2. Hydrate with an Eye Cream and/or Eye Mask
- 3. Get Ice Rolling
- 4. Don’t Skip the Toner and Serum
- 5. Moisturize for Life
- 6. Apply Primer
- 02 WHY YOU NEED AN ICE ROLLER
- 03 SKINCARE MUST-HAVES
Achieving a flawless makeup look does not just depend on the products (or brands) that you choose. It also relies on the condition of your skin prior to application. A clean face is already a great base but dark circles, rough and dry skin, dull eyes - your makeup might need to work harder than it should. Get introduced to the ice roller and other essential skin prep steps. Take less time to prepare your face and realize that you don’t need to put on that much makeup and still look flawless.
6 Easy Steps to Prepare Your Face Before Makeup
1. Cleanse and Exfoliate- Dead skin cells can be one of the causes of cakey or splotchy makeup. Skin that has not been prepared properly reveals itself in many unappealing ways after makeup application. The buildup of dead skin cells will not only cause pore clogging but will also make the surface of your skin uneven.
Exfoliating sloughs off dead skin cells and uncovers the smooth skin underneath. Choose an exfoliating scrub with tiny microbeads that won’t make small tears on the skin. Just make sure not to overdo exfoliating as this can leave your skin dry - not a good base for the makeup to grip onto.
2. Hydrate with an Eye Cream and/or Eye Mask- Makeup can sure hide the fact that you haven’t slept a wink but treating the skin around the eye area makes for less hiding. Dehydrated under eye skin will make it hard for your concealer to do its work of blurring signs of aging and puffiness.
Prep the under eye for concealer with a nourishing lightweight eye cream, preferably with a hyaluronic acid formulation to help lock in moisture and plump the eye area. Follow with hydrating eye masks that instantly work to minimize fine lines, fade dark circles, and reduce puffiness.
3. Get Ice Rolling
- After cleaning your face and prepping the eye area, it’s time to let the ice roller out. At this point, there still might be some spots on your skin that seem puffy, a bit wonky, inflamed or reddish, and dull. Dark circles might still be present under your eyes. Don’t skip this simple but effective step.
The humble ice roller is an inexpensive all-in-one makeup prep tool that you can use to instantly address various skin concerns prior to makeup application. What are the ice roller benefits? Breaking out before a big event? Ice rolling can help dial down redness and inflammation. Run the roller gently under the eye area to reduce puffiness and reinvigorate your blood vessels. It can even help calm your nerves when you use it as an ice massage roller.
4. Don’t Skip the Toner and Serum
- Just because you are about to put on layer upon layer of makeup products doesn’t mean you can skip these skincare routine essentials. This is especially true if you have to put on makeup on a regular basis.
Applying a hydrating toner followed by your favorite serum helps keep the skin healthy and nourished underneath all that makeup that you have to wear for hours. Opt for a brightening serum for a glowing base or one that minimizes pores, perfect for people with oily skin.
5. Moisturize for Life
- Dry patches ruin good makeup application. If makeup hacks can’t fix the dreaded caking and creasing, it’s time you treat your skin from within. Don’t let makeup products, no matter how good or hydrating they are, touch your skin without applying moisturizer first.
Lock in moisture and all those nutrients before adding more layers of skin products. Smooth and hydrated skin makes for a seamless blending of foundation and concealer. Healthy skin is also a great base that can help your makeup last longer.
6. Apply Primer
- You can certainly skip primer but you can’t prevent your makeup from melting or becoming dull due to natural causes such as the weather. Primer helps your makeup stick to your face. It acts as a barrier to prevent oils and products from mixing and ruining your look.
Using a primer brings you closer to your makeup goals, whether it's a dewy, glossy, or matte look. For oily skin, choose a primer with oil control to add to makeup longevity.
WHY YOU NEED AN ICE ROLLER
Roll your way to a properly prepped skin. Use Project E Beauty’s Ice Roller Cold Therapy which makes use of natural cold temperatures to effectively reduce facial skin puffiness and swelling. The cold therapy method enhances blood circulation with visible results on the skin: tightened pores, smoother skin texture, reduced redness and inflammation, and a more radiant, and youthful glow. Also, use this roller for a relaxing ice massage after a long day. To see the effects, get your ice roller before and after photos ready.
Infuse your skin with enough moisture during makeup prep. Apply the Project E Beauty Hydrating Facial Toner formulated with ultra-moisturizing ingredients to keep skin hydrated and refreshed. It creates a moisturizing film over the skin to help maintain a healthy pH balance. Its lightweight formula minimizes pores to help control oil production and enhance makeup longevity.
Project E Beauty’s natural and organic Hyaluronic Acid Serum is an excellent moisture magnet for the skin particularly in the under eye area. Application of this serum helps plump the skin surrounding the eyes, giving you a more refreshed and awake look.
PUMP UP THE MOISTURE
You know your skin is ready for makeup when it's soft and smooth, meaning properly moisturized. Project E Beauty’s Nourishing Facial Moisturizer has a lightweight hydrating formulation that goes easy on the skin and is perfect for layering with other skincare and makeup.
Add The Ice Roller To Your Skincare Routine And See The Difference
The secret to a flawless makeup look is out: it’s great skin. Skin prep rituals (and lots of moisturizing) are a must to help you achieve that perfect makeup look from day to night with no fading or melting. At the end of the day, your makeup’s staying power will always depend on the quality of your skin. The great news is that nifty beauty tools such as the ice roller can make all of these easier for you!
written by Sophie Flair