Exfoliation is an important of your skincare regimen. It is not optional – to get clear and beautiful skin, and maintain it, you need to ensure all impurities are removed on a regular basis, which is accomplished by thorough exfoliation.
What is exfoliation?
The concept of exfoliation is simple – they get rid of dead skills that tend to pile up on the skin surface so that cell growth continues and newer, fresher ones are not affected in any way. Accumulation of dead skin cells on the face and body leads to acne, pimples, redness, irritation and a host of other problems. Exfoliation helps to improve skin tone and wash off dirt and grime, while enabling moisturizers and anti-aging products to be more effective.
Points to remember about exfoliation
- Try to exfoliate right before bed as it is the perfect time to do so because the skin renews itself overnight.
- If you are in the habit of exfoliating during the day, make sure you use a good sunscreen with high SPF during the day to protect your skin against sun damage.
- Choose exfoliants depending upon skin type. For those with sensitive skin, you can opt for a powdered version that is gentle but highly efficient while unclogging pores. Others can buy granulated scrubs as the rounded exfoliating beads eventually dissolve.
- Lactic acid is a popular component in most exfoliating cleansers as it can soften the skin’s texture, remove dead skin cells without affecting the moisture content, impart a natural glow, and combat signs of aging.
- Extreme of anything is bad – over foliation does more harm than good by leaving your skin red, irritated, dry, and itchy. You can damage your skin barrier with over exfoliation and it can take a lot of time to fix that damage. Exfoliating twice a week is sufficient.
- Before you reach for the face scrub, pay attention to how your skin reacts to different exfoliators. If you have pimple prone skin or blemishes, then exfoliating can make it worse. Those with broken or irritated skin should also steer clear.
- It is a common misconception that for thorough scrubbing you need to apply significant pressure during exfoliation to remove the impurities. Excessive pressure could problems – scrubbing should always be done using soft, circular movements that are gentle but effective.
Incorporate exfoliation into your beauty routine to get and maintain beautiful and supple skin at all times.
Share this post